The third and current Chinatown is anchored by the neighbourhood’s first Chinese building–the Canton Block, which consists of three buildings constructed from 1910 to 1911 (200-210, 212-216 and 218 Centre Street). The Canton Block serves as a symbol of the establishment of the current Chinatown in 1910. The contiguous grouping of buildings is an important landmark for the community as it is Chinatown’s first building owned and built in the community by Chinese residents. While still within a segregated area, it was the first time settlers of Chinese ancestry were allowed to buy and own land in Calgary. The properties were registered to benevolent or clan associations, as no BIPOC were recognised as ‘Persons’ until decades later.