Originally a Methodist Church build in 1894, the building is now the home of the Richmond Hospital/Healthcare Auxiliary’s Thrift Shop. It is the oldest church in Richmond B.C. that still sits on its original site in Steveston.
The building’s architectural style reflects modest early church structures: T-shaped plan, front gable roof, façade and bell tower. The heritage value of the building is its association among First Nations and Japanese Canadians who worked in the Steveston canning and fishing industries as a place of worship for them. In 1925, the building connected to the United Church through the union of several church groups.
Today, the building is owned by the Richmond Hospital Auxiliary and is still serving the community through the operation of its Thrift Shop which sells donated items at very low cost making it affordable for impoverished families. The Richmond community also benefits because all revenue earned through Thrift Shop sales helps to support healthcare programs in Richmond.