This was the first location of Ms. Purdy’s Women’s Bar, which opened in 1984. It was located in the historic MacDonald Block. Ms. Purdy’s was a Lesbian bar and meeting place, which was almost exclusively for women, but men were allowed in for concerts. It moved to a new location in 1990.
- Queer Historic Place
- 226 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Even though many queer folks were able to feel safe in designated spaces in the 80’s, this was mainly only the case for white, cisgender gay men and lesbians. Watch this clip to see what it was like for some folks to be gay and Black in the 80’s in Winnipeg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EdHmZ1xRGc&t=42s&ab_channel=UniversityofManitobaArchives%26SpecialCollections
226 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This was the final location of Giovanni’s Room, the longest running gay bar in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg Union Station
The Winnipeg Station was originally constructed in 1911 with a major renovation completed …
Upper Fort Garry
The 5th European trading post, at the junction of the Red & Assiniboine Rivers
Forts Rouge, Garry and Gibraltar National Historic Site
The only original surviving above-ground element is the north gate of Fort Garry
Popular VisitLists Including "Ms. Purdy’s"
Queering the Historic Places Days
Edmonton, Alberta to Halifax, Nova Scotia 30 places
A list of places that tell Queer histories of resistance, celebration and community.
Historic Queer Meeting Places in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba 8 places
Queer meeting places in Winnipeg established between the 1880’s and 1980’s