The present Chinese United Church building, one of Chinatown’s first post-World War II buildings, was constructed in 1953-1954 on a site immediately west of the Mission building. The architect was Maxwell Bates, and the contractor was a man named Reed or Reid. Following the pattern set by the original Mission, the Chinese United Church accommodated both a sanctuary and a gymnasium.
The Chinese United Church has remained a notable institution in Calgary’s Chinatown. The Church board retained ownership of the Mission building and converted it into a rooming house for students and senior citizens. It was demolished in the 1970s and replaced by Oi Kwan Place, a senior citizens’ home.
The Chinese United Church is part of Heritage Calgary‘s walking tour of Chinatown