Vieux Terrebonne | Célébrant 350e anniversaire de la Ville de Terrebonne

Vieux Terrebonne | Célébrant 350e anniversaire de la Ville de Terrebonne

The Corporation of the 350th Anniversary of the City of Terrebonne cordially invite you to celebrate the 350th Anniversary of Vieux Terrebonne this year.

https://www.ville.terrebonne.qc.ca/350

La Corporation des fêtes du 350e anniversaire de la Ville de Terrebonne, vous invite cordialement à cette événement historique de la célébration du 350e anniversaire de la Ville, en célébrant Terrebonne à travers son histoire, ses réalisations et ça culture.

History:

This city is divided in three sectors, namely Lachenaie, La Plaine and Terrebonne.

In the past, these sectors were distinct cities, but, on 22 August 2001, they merged under the name of Terrebonne.

The town of Lachenaie, which was founded in 1683 by Lord Charles Aubert de Lachenaye, is the oldest of the three towns that were merged. Natives were already present on this territory at the time.

The colonisation really started in 1647 when Lachenaie was merged with the Repentigny Seigniory. Louis Lepage de Ste-Claire, priest, canon, and the son of René Lepage de Sainte-Claire, acquired the Seigniory of Terrebonne in September 1720.

Abbot Louis Lepage de Ste-Claire built the first church in 1734 and the first manor in 1735. A few years later, Abbot Lepage equipped the town with both a saw mill and a flour mill.

The town of La Plaine was founded in 1830 on fragments of other towns, namely Mascouche, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Saint-Lin, and Terrebonne.

At that time, the lords of Terrebonne and Lachenaie built the road named “chemin de la Grande Ligne” to join the two towns. It is now called the boulevard Laurier. In 1877, the rail system was developed and stimulated the economic growth. The village of Saint-Joachim was founded during that time, which was later, in 1920, to be renamed La Plaine.

The first lord of Terrebonne was André Daulier-Deslandes, who was granted his title in 1673. Following the construction of the first wooden bridge in 1834, two main areas emerged. The commercial area was Terrebonne, while the agricultural one was Saint-Louis de Terrebonne. In 1985, these two cities merged.

At the time of the municipal merger in late August 2001, Lachenaie had over 20,000 residents, La Plaine had 17,000 residents, and Terrebonne had almost 46,000 residents. This merger made Terrebonne the 10th largest city in Quebec. Ten years later, the city had around 106,322 citizens.

Places

Road Map

Terrebonne, Québec to Terrebonne, Québec

Popular VisitLists

Atlantic Canada’s Hidden Histories

Shelburne, Nova Scotia to Fredericton, New Brunswick 40 places
geocaches that demonstrate the rich, diverse histories of Atlantic Canada.
View VisitList

Black Islanders

Cardigan, Prince Edward Island to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 4 places
The surprising Black history of Prince Edward Island.
View VisitList

50 Great Saves: The Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act

Duncan, British Columbia to McAdam, New Brunswick 10 places
In 1990, the Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act came into effect after years of lobbying with the help of the National Trust for Canada. The act has granted over 150 railway stations federal legal protection across the country including the Duncan train station in Duncan, BC and the McAdam Railway Station in McAdam, New Brunswick.
View VisitList

Afro-Nova Scotia

Halifax, Nova Scotia to Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia 9 places
The geography of Black urban Halifax and Windsor encompassing the waves of Black migration
View VisitList