The Waterfront station opened in 1914 as the third Canadian Pacific Railway station in Vancouver. The first CPR station in Vancouver was built in 1887 and was located at the foot of Howe Street. It operated until 1898 when a new station was constructed on Granville.
The second station was constructed in a Châteauesque style resembling the architecture of the Château Frontenac in Quebec City or the Empress in Vancouver, both of which were also constructed for the CPR at the turn of the century. Less than 15 years later, Montreal Architects Barrot, Blackader & Webster were contracted to design a third CPR station. In 1914, the building known today as the Waterfront station opened, and has remained in service for 109 years.