A superb example of decorative Queen Anne Revival architecture, the house was built in 1889 for Robert J. Davidson of Davidson Lumber Co. as a wedding gift for his wife. He hired his best craftsmen to install ornate oak walls, doors and ceilings. Today, it is the headquarters of The National Trust for Canada and Andrex Holdings Ltd.
This building was saved from demolition and fully restored by Andrex in 1978.
Ottawa was developed on unceded Algonquin Anishinabe territory. The lumber industry was a primary economic driver in the establishment of the area, and benefitted from the use and exploitation of local indigenous trade routes along the Ottawa River. The National Capital Region is no longer a central lumber hub, but the built heritage of the “lumber barons” remains a visible colonial legacy.