The Hurtubise House is the oldest farmhouse building in Westmount. It was built in 1739 for Jean Hurtubise, son of Louis Hurtubise who, in 1699, bought the land located on Côte-Saint-Antoine Road, at the corner of Victoria Avenue. Six generations of the Hurtubise family lived in this old house until Leopold Hurtubise, the last of homeowners, died in 1955. In 1956, the Hurtubise House became the first property which the Canadian Heritage of Quebec saved from demolition and its protection is now ensured indefinitely.
In 2004, the site of the former Hurtubise Farm was classified by the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec.
In 2005, the Canadian Heritage of Quebec undertook the restoration of this historic house in two phases. The first was the restoration of the roof, chimneys and second floor; the second phase, conducted in 2012, resulted in the restoration of the west side stone wall, the front gallery, the basement and the ground floor of the house. The main purpose of the second phase of the restorations projects was to preserve the patina on the floors, walls and ceilings in order to keep the “spirit of the place”.
In 2016, CHQ created vegetables and flowers gardens on the site to commemorate the last farming period (1873-1893) of the Hurtubise Farm.
The Hurtubise House can be visited by appointment only. To make an appointment, please contact the Canadian Heritage of Quebec by email at email@example.com.