This basic wood-frame Herdsman’s House is set in rural surroundings in Neubergthal, an early Mennonite street village and national historic site in south-central Manitoba, Canada. The Herdsman’s House, built in ca. 1890, is the only remaining dwelling of its type in Manitoba. It is a good illustration of the homes built for herd-marshals (cattle) in the farm villages established by the Mennonite settlers beginning in the mid 1870’s.
Starting in 2002, Paul and Margruite Krahn began stabilizing and restoring the Herdsman’s House to much of its early state. Features include: three rooms with a central Russian Bake Oven/Heater ( rebuilt by Restoration Workshop, Parks Canada) ; original fir flooring and reproduced hand painted floor patterns; built-in kitchen cupboards, and handmade doors and windows. in 2015 an addition was added to include a full bathroom and kitchenette.