The Bronte Historical Society volunteers manage the historic Sovereign House as a heritage display centre and provide assistance to researchers. Visitors enjoy a self-guided tour of the restored rooms with artifacts, photographs, archival documents and memorabilia.
Early settlers in the area, Phillip Sovereign and his family bought property west of the Indian reserve in 1814 and by 1815 built a school on the property. His son Charles Sovereign served as school master. Charles built a log cabin on the property in 1825 and replaced it in 1846 with the present two-story house.
In 1988 the Sovereign House was destined for demolition, but through the Society’s efforts in conjunction with the Town of Oakville, the house was moved from Shoreline Drive to its current location at 7 West River Street, Oakville. In 1996 the Sovereign House opened to the public. Charles Sovereign’s 50 year plus journals detail his life in Bronte and adds insight into early days of an Ontario harbour village.
The gardens are reminiscent of the 1911-1915 period when famous Canadian writer Mazo de la Roche called it home. Mazo is known for her Whiteoaks of Jalna series. She found inspiration in the House for her first novel Possessions, published in 1923.
Come for a visit and enjoy Bronte’s history.