Known by a variety of names including Nebogwawin Butte and Merry Dance Hill, the Star Mound is a 100-foot-tall, ice-age moraine in southern Manitoba that arises abruptly from the surrounding prairie.
The Star Mound School District was established in June 1885 and it operated a school building on land purchased from farmer James D. Robertson. In 1901, the building was relocated to a more central location at NE15-1-10W then, in January 1962, to Snowflake where it accommodated high school students of Snowflake Consolidated School No. 1111. When the high school students were instead bused to Manitou starting in 1966, the building was acquired by the Star Mound Historical Society and, in 1967, was moved to the top of Star Mound