St. Mark’s Anglican Church – Parish of Port de Grave owned by the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador. The first church was built in 1816 by a community of fishermen and their families.
Bareneed is a part of the Port de Grave Peninsula. In the summer of 2016, the Port de Grave Heritage Society honored Canon John Thomas Richards O.B.E. (1875-1958) native son of Bareneed by erecting a board in his honor.
St. Mark’s Church is located in Bareneed, and after celebrating its 200th anniversary in 2016 the church was closed. After much work by the Port de Grave Peninsula Heritage Society Inc., the building was turned over to them by the Anglican Diocese of Eastern NL. The building has received Heritage status from the Heritage NL.
The building will be used as an Interpretation and Visitor Centre, housing the collection of the Canadian Coast Guard Alumni and will tell the story of the 23,000 kilometers of shoreline from Cape Race to Cape Spear. The building will also be used as a venue for small groups of entertainers.
The Port de Grave Peninsula Heritage Society Inc., is working very hard to bring all this to a reality.