Port Credit Light House (1991) . One of the most familiar sights near any harbour is a lighthouse, and Port Credit has had its share of them. The first was constructed in 1863 by Frederick Chase Capreol. The lighthouse, which was built out in the harbour, was taken over by the Ontario government in 1882. A 1908 flood separated the lighthouse from the mainland and in 1918 the lighthouse closed. The old lighthouse burned in 1936. The present lighthouse was constructed in 1991 and, while not an historic structure, is a reminder of Port Credit’s marine heritage. It is a Peel Region pumping station and the home of the Port Credit BIA. From its deck one can get a very good view of the Credit River and Port Credit harbour.
Port Credit Lighthouse is a functional lighthouse overlooking Port Credit’s harbour. It is also the most photographed building in Mississauga. The lighthouse was built in 1991 by the Lion’s Club of Port Credit to replace the village’s original 1883 lighthouse which was built of wood in 1883 and destroyed by fire in 1936. The light atop the little red and white structure is visible 15 miles out on Lake Ontario (Port Credit is an international border entry point into Canada by water). Climb the stairs to the deck of the lighthouse (no cost) for a good view of the Credit River, the Port Credit harbour, and the village of Port Credit