The Niton School played an essential role in the early development of Niton, AB.
Prior to 1928, the community of Niton did not have a school, which discouraged families from settling in the area. The Niton School was built by volunteers in 1928, and it successfully brought in more settlers who built homesteads in the area so their children could receive formal education. By 1939, there were 35 students enrolled from grades 1 to 8.
The community eventually outgrew the single room building and it was repurposed as a community centre, playing host to many parties, dances, weddings and other special events, which allowed it to continue to have a role in the development of Niton.