The “Montreal House” is Streetsville’s oldest surviving building, and the oldest commercial building in all of Mississauga. Built circa 1821 by John Barnhart (1790-1863), the Montreal House was home to Barnhart’s trading post and general store. Barnhart’s son, Jabez, started a newspaper upstairs in 1843, which became the Streetsville Review when Solomon J. Barnhart, Jabez’s brother, took over publication in 1846. The first telephone exchange in Streetsville operated here as well.
John Barnhart was a United Empire Loyalist, who fled to Streetsville from the United States. For a time the family settled on an island in the St. Lawrence River, which is now known as Barnhart Island. While living on the island Barnhart operated a trading business catering to traders and naval merchants, most of who were stationed in Montreal. When he opened his general store and trading post in Streetsville, John acquired goods from these traders and the name of his store reflects their location.