The train station that houses Middleton Railway Museum is the third station to be built on or near the site. It’s a Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) design and was constructed following a disastrous fire that destroyed the original Windsor & Annapolis Railway 3-story station in 1915. It opened in 1917.
The station is painted in the original Windsor & Atlantic “straw” yellow with dark brown trim. The use of the straw yellow continued into the Dominion Atlantic Railway (DAR) days but after the CPR lease of the railway eventually all stations were repainted the familiar Tuscan red. Paint samples were taken from protected locations on the building and scrupulously matched by a local paint supplier to insure the authenticity of the museum’s exterior.
Their newest acquisition is a 61-tonne 1905 steam locomotive on display outside of our train station! It’s the fourth oldest steam locomotive once owned by CN, and the only one of the four in the Maritimes. It rounds out an extensive Dominion Atlantic Railway collection – a collection that continues to grow!
Photograph by Lawrence Powell.