Mackin House is an Edwardian home built in 1909 as a company home for the second in command at the Fraser Mills Lumber Company. It is staged with period appropriate furniture and artifacts to give visitors a sense of what life in Coquitlam would have been like for someone living at that time in upper middle class.
In 1909 and 1910, over 400 French-Canadians from Ontario and Québec were brought to Fraser Mills as the new workforce for the expanded mill. Entire families were encouraged to cross the country, forming all at once the largest Francophone enclave west of St. Boniface. Their village was soon named Maillardville in honour of their priest, Father Edmond Maillard. Another wave of Francophones, this time from the Canadian Prairies, further strengthened these cultural ties during the 1960s and 70s. Although assimilation occurred for most of the descendants, the town retains a Québécois streetscape in areas, with the remaining church and housing stock bearing testimony to the hard work ethic and the survival instincts of these early migrants.