At the Global Centre for Pluralism, we believe that societies thrive when differences are valued.
Our mission is to influence perspectives, inform policies and inspire pathways to advance pluralism.
The Global Centre for Pluralism is an independent, charitable organization founded by His Highness the Aga Khan and the Government of Canada. The Centre works with policy leaders, educators and community builders around the world to amplify and implement the transformative power of pluralism.
The Global Centre for Pluralism, located on the unceded territory of the Algonquin nation, is a Canadian heritage landmark constructed in 1905 to house the Dominion Archives. Though this Tudor-Gothic style building has undergone significant revitalization since then, many heritage elements have been preserved, including the original ceiling vaults in the entrance and the oak front door.
The building expanded with the addition of a south wing in 1925, and was the home of the Canadian War Museum between 1967 and 2005. In 2015, renovations began and the location has been the Global Centre for Pluralism headquarters since 2017.
Our Dialogue Centre is a space for people to come together. The ceiling and the walls are lined with white oak millwork, with a laser cut pattern inspired by the trefoil found on the building’s parapets. Most of the Centre’s events are held in this space.
Our copper bay window, located in the lobby, was designed to connect the building with the Ottawa River and to serve as a beacon visible from the opposite river bank. The window’s angle resembles a door opening onto the river and to what lies beyond.
Throughout the first floor you will see examples of Canadian art on loan from the Canada Council Art Bank. The pieces were chosen for their illustration of pluralism, through the artists’ experiences or the positive response to diversity depicted in the work.
Our Seminar Room was the former office of Dominion Archivist, Sir Arthur Doughty. The fireplace is from his original 1905 study.
The building’s courtyard was designed to bloom continuously from spring to fall. The public is invited to enjoy the gardens and benches. Take some time to look up at the building’s parapets to spot the trefoil pattern, which is reflected throughout the building’s interiors.