The Chi-twaa Tigaanes Sacred Gardens was created by Heritage Mississauga to commemorate previous home of the Mississaugas of the Credit River circa 1826 to 1847. The Sacred Gardens honours the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation’s history in historic Mississauga.
At the site there are plaques that provide a detailed history, while native plants such as sweetgrass, sage and echinacea, pay tribute to the origins of the land.
- The garden is not intended as a memorial, but rather a celebration of the story of the Credit Mission.
- the history of this land as the previous home of the Mississaugas of the Credit River was forgotten for some time
- The old travelled routes and building lots vanished, and any lingering physical traces on the landscape were seemingly erased by the QEW expansion beginning in the 1930s and the re-routing of Mississauga Road itself in the 1950s.
- The history of this land was finally explored in detail again in Professor Donald Smith’s book, Sacred Feathers (1987), which truly explored the story of Kahkewaquonaby, Reverend Peter Jones, and the Credit Mission Village.
1864 Mississauga Rd, Mississauga, ON L5H 4C8, Canada