Central Park is one of the oldest parks in Winnipeg. In 1892, the Winnipeg Public Parks Board was created, and bought land in the city for the creation of public parks. Central Park opened in 1894, and over the next few years many houses and apartment blocks went up in the surrounding area. It was a popular place for people to relax and enjoy nature within the city. In 2009, the park got a $5.6-million makeover. It was expanded to Ellice Avenue, and got the popular splash pad and soccer pitch that can be seen there today.
- 367 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
- Wheelchair Access
Did you know? The gothic fountain in Central Park is called the Waddell Fountain. It is named after Emily Waddell, who died in 1909. Her will stated that if her husband were to remarry, he would first have to have a fountain worth $10,000 built in Central Park in her honour. Mr. Waddell fundraised the money, and was finally allowed to remarry in 1914.
367 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The Olympia Hotel
Now the Marlborough Hotel, it was established in 1914 as the Olympia Hotel.
The Silver Slipper
Now the Radisson Hotel, this was the second location of the Silver Slipper in the 1970’s.
This is the first permanent location of Oddfellows’ Hall, having opened in 1883.
University of Winnipeg Archives/Two-Spirit Archives
University of Winnipeg records, research collections, & steward of the Two-Spirit Arch…