The Cedars Lighthouse was built in 1904 and decommissioned in 1996. It sits on the St. John River in Long Reach, just below the site of the former Cedars Hotel. In 1894 the large hotel was opened near the community of Long Reach in a sub-community called “The Cedars” due to the large cedar trees gracing the nearby shores of the Saint John River. Several years later it was decided that a proper lighthouse should replace the existing mast and shed light located just down river at Williams Landing. Guests traveled to and from the Cedars by steamboats that followed the guiding light of lighthouses all along the St. John and Kennebecasis rivers. To accommodate the many guests travelling to The Cedars, a wharf was built near the Cedars Lighthouse in 1907. The Cedars Hotel was torn down in the 1970s so all that remains of that era is the lighthouse.
The Cedars Lighthouse was purchased by Kingston Peninsula Heritage in 2005.