L’Île-des-Moulins | au coeur de la Seigneurie de Terrebonne
Site historique de l’Île-des-Moulins
Lanaudière, Terrebonne, Quebec
Les Moulins RCM
Governing Body : Terrebonne City Council
Historic Classification: Government of Quebec | Industrial Heritage
Les Moulins were settled in 1673.
For two centuries, Île-des-Moulins was at the centre of the development of one of the largest seigneuries in Quebec’s history. Today, five restored historical buildings bear witness to the economic vitality of the Terrebonne seigneury and the accomplishments of its seigneurs and landholders. The mills of Terrebonne, in operation from 1721 to 1940, still stand proudly on the beautiful Île-des-Moulins.
Île-des-Moulins was at the centre of the development of one of the largest seigneuries in Quebec’s history. Today, five restored historical buildings bear witness to the economic vitality of the Terrebonne seigneury and the accomplishments of its seigneurs and landholders. The mills of Terrebonne, in operation from 1721 to 1940, still stand proudly on the beautiful Île-des-Moulins site.
The pre-industrial complex of the Île-des-moulins, was amongst the most important ones in the province of Quebec during the 19th century. Although several infrastructures have degraded, a total of five buildings remain. The fourth lord of Terrebonne, Abbot Louis Lepage, had ordered the construction of the first flour mill in 1721 as well as the first saw mill around 1725.
In 1803, the bakery was built and established in the village. The actual saw and flour mills were built in 1804 and 1846, respectively. Four years following the construction of the flour mill that is currently standing at the Île-des-moulins to this day, the Moulin neuf (New Mill) was built in 1850. In addition, around the same time in 1850, the seigniory office was established.
In 1973, the Île-des-moulins was classified as a historic site of national interest by the Government of Quebec. 🎈
The Moulin-Neuf dam allows for the flow regulation of the Rivière des Mille Îles, as well as ice accumulation control in the spring.
The first dam at the Île-des-moulins was built in 1721, following the establishment of the very first flour mill. This dam linked the Île-des-moulins to the Ile Saint-Jean, passing through the small Île aux moutons, located midway between the two islands in the Rivière des Mille Îles.
In 1872, the Masson family ordered the construction of a new dam near the location of the current historical one. However, this dam was rebuilt in cement in the year 1890 for reinforcement and increased resilience.
Nearly a century later, in 1972, the owner of the Île-des-moulins decided to destroy the dam with dynamite due to flooding risk.
As a result, the dam underwent severe damage, prompting the city of Terrebonne to acquire the island and classify it as a protected historical site in 1973.
In 1979, the Ministère des Richesses naturelles du Québec ordered the reconstruction of the Moulin-Neuf dam, to which a pedestrian walkway is added to allow citizens, visitors, and tourists to walk from the Île-des-moulins to the larger Ile Saint-Jean. This new dam was built a certain distance away from the small Île aux moutons, making the dam significantly longer than the initial ones.
•Minister of Culture and Communications Quebec
Classified : 1973
• Commission biens culturel du Québec