PLACE MARGUERITE – BOURGEOYS PARK
HOMMAGE À MARGUERITE BOURGEOYS – Sculpture
1988 – Jules LASALLE
85, Notre Dame East, Montreal
Jules LaSalle – Sculptor
• Director – ‘Atelier Attitude’
• 1979 – Completed Bachelors in Arts Plastique at the University of Quebec in Montreal
• 1981-1983 – Stage in Sculpture Paris, France at;
l’École Nationale Supérieure – School of Applied Arts and
Hervé Cappelli Studio and the Minister of Culture.
• Amongst his works of Art, ‘Hommage à Marguerite
Bourgeoys (1988), on Notre-Dame St. E. in Old Montreal.
• The Sculpture is owned by the ‘City of Montreal’ and is held
within a collection of public works
• Materials: The Sculpture is made of bronze, granite and
concrete (174 x 414 cm )
• This contains-sculpture is located at
‘Place Marguerite-Bourgeoys’ at 85 Notre Dame East, in the
Old Port of Montreal.
• The Sculpture depicts Margeurite Bourgeoys playing with
two Children, in the centre of a basin with a water fountain.
• The Artist was inspired by a painting depicting Marguerite I
Bourgeoys, with attire and holding a cross of the
• Born in Troyes, France, Marguerite Bourgeoys joins Jean- Mance and Paul de Chomedey, sieur de Maisonneuve at Ville -Marie in 1653.
• Involved in Education in New-France she founded many schools. The first in 1658 was situated in Hôtel Dieu. In 1670, she founded the Congregation Notre Dame.
• She died in 1700 and in October 1982, was canonized by Pope Jean-Paul II.
801 rue Brennan Mtl H3C0G4