The Merchants Bank of Canada was established in Humboldt in January 1914. In March, 1920, a branch at Humboldt was planned for construction, but was awaiting approval from head office. Tenders were received in June 1920 and construction began soon after. The tender was for a 25 x 60 foot structure, two storeys, full size basement, solid red brick construction, two vaults and a fireplace. The main floor was to be occupied by the bank with the second floor as living quarters for the staff. The Merchants Bank of Canada remained here until it was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in March 1922.
The Bank of Montreal used this building from April 1922 until it closed in March 1931. The reason stated in the local newspaper was « insufficient business. » The building was vacant until the Canadian Bank of Commerce purchased it the following year.
Enjoy contemporary art in this amazing historic building.
Admission is by donation.