Henry Birks Building
Birks Group Incorporated
1240 Phillips Square, Sainte-Catherine Street, Montreal, Quebec
Architecte: Edward Maxwell 1894
The Birks Building was built in Philips Square in downtown Montreal in 1894, to house Henry Birks’s Jewellery shop.
Today, the shop remains opened but in 2018 part of the building has become a boutique hotel overlooking Philipps Square.
The transformation was made with great attention in restoring the building’s architectural details. The offices on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors were converted into 132 modern and comfortable rooms and suites, while the hotel’s reception and restaurant were built next to the jewellery shop, on the ground floor.
Through the entrance doors one discovers the beauty of this institution’s architectural details and its carefully restored original ceiling mouldings and massive columns.
1840-1928 • Henry Birks, Legacy – Founder of Birks Jewelry Company
1879 – First store opened on St-James Street
1907 – As Montreal’s commercial centre moved north toward Saint Catherine Street, the Birks store moved to its new location at Phillips Square in 1894, where the company still maintains a store and corporate offices.
2018 – Hotel Birks arrives. Following a meticulous restoration of the Birks building, Les Hôtels St-Martin debuts their first North American 5-star property.
Birks Group Inc. (formerly Birks & Mayors)
Is a designer, manufacturer and retailer of jewellery, timepieces, silverware and gifts, with stores and manufacturing facilities located in Canada and the United States.
The Group was created in November 2005 through the merger of Henry Birks and Sons Ltd. (Canada) and Mayors Jewelers Inc. (United States).
The company is headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, with American corporate offices located in Tamarac, Florida.
Maison Birks Montréal Centre-Ville. 620, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest. Montréal, Quebec H3B 1B7
Tel: (514) 397-2511