Annandale House was built in the 1880s by Edwin Delevan Tillson (below), the first mayor of Tillsonburg and son of the town’s founder, George Tillson. It is a fully restore Victorian Home.
The interior of Annandale House is a living monument to the Victorian style of design, known as the « Aesthetic Art Movement. » Popularized by Oscar Wilde, this movement encouraged the use of colour and decorative detailing in all areas of the home. The House features extravagant, hand-painted ceilings, elaborate inlaid floors, ornate mantles, colourful stained glass and more.
In 1882, Mrs. Mary Ann Tillson attended Wilde’s « The House Beautiful » lecture in Woodstock, Ontario and applied much of what she heard when decorating her new home.
The House is also a municipally owned and operated facility attached to Annandale House containing more than 18,000+ items from Tillsonburg’s history. Also well as Tourist Information Centre providing free information about tourism attractions throughout Southwestern Ontario.