The Old Post Office, Oakville’s first post office (1835 to 1856), stands beside the Thomas House and is operated by the Oakville Museum. This building was moved by Mrs. Mathews from the east bank of the Sixteen Mile Creek (SW corner of Navy and Lakeshore) in 1952.
Oakville’s first post office was built in 1835 and William Chisholm served as the first postmaster. The building originally stood on the southwest corner of Colborne (Lakeshore Road) and Navy Street. Through the efforts of William Chisholm’s great-granddaughter, Hazel Chisholm Hart Mathews, the building was moved to Lakeside Park in 1952 where it became Oakville’s first museum.