Constructed in 1882-3, Glanmore became home to four generations of the Phillips-Burrows-Faulkner family. The continuity of ownership ensured the preservation of the building’s original character.
Named a National Historic Site in 1969, the designation recognized Glanmore’s outstanding Second Empire style of architecture.
Glanmore’s grand interior, thanks to many meticulous restoration projects, features gorgeous hand-painted ceilings and ornate woodwork. The museum’s impressive period-rooms display beautiful original furnishings, known as the Glanmore Collection, as well as exceptional objects (fine art and antiquities) from the Couldery Collection.
In addition to preserving and presenting artifacts and stories related to Glanmore’s history, and the splendor of the Couldery Collection, the museum is also proud to serve as Belleville’s community museum. It actively collects and interprets artifacts connected to the history of the Belleville region, known as the Regional Collection. Glanmore is also home to the William Sawyer Portrait Collection, the Manly MacDonald Collection (art and household objects connected to the artist), and the Paul Lighting Research Collection (artifacts depicting the history of illumination.)