Annandale House was built in the 1880s by Edwin Delevan Tillson (below), the first mayor of Tillsonburg and son of the town’s founder, George Tillson. It is a fully restore Victorian Home.
The interior of Annandale House is a living monument to the Victorian style of design, known as the “Aesthetic Art Movement.” Popularized by Oscar Wilde, this movement encouraged the use of colour and decorative detailing in all areas of the home. The House features extravagant, hand-painted ceilings, elaborate inlaid floors, ornate mantles, colourful stained glass and more.
In 1882, Mrs. Mary Ann Tillson attended Wilde’s “The House Beautiful” lecture in Woodstock, Ontario and applied much of what she heard when decorating her new home.
The House is also a municipally owned and operated facility attached to Annandale House containing more than 18,000+ items from Tillsonburg’s history. Also well as Tourist Information Centre providing free information about tourism attractions throughout Southwestern Ontario.